Sunday, July 19, 2009

Poison unresistable...Tamron SP90 f2.8 Macro 1:1

I told myself that I wouldn't invest in another lense after I got my Tamron 70-200mm. I want to explore all my lenses capabilities before looking for another. The Tokina was sharp at f4. Tested it at a friend's daughter birthday party and it perform flawlessly. The Sony SAL 16-105, although most of the time it's in the bag, but I would need the wide 16mm(24mm on my a200) for group shots. The Tamron 70-200mm is indispensable. I love shoooting with that lens at 200mm, giving nice bokeh with good sharpness. I wouldn't let go the Minolta 50mm f1.7 for its low-light capabilities and a good potrait lens too.


With the hood on.




The focus limiter switch.

But, the poison was all over for macro shots. I was testing my luck when I went to the same shop in KK and playfully asked if there's SP90 for Sony mount. There it was, the last copy there and I told myself it's now or never. Tried some shots and I was hooked. Take out my wallet and I am a very happy dude(and a super poor photographer too).







Why Tamron? It's cheap. And the image quality sometimes surpasses some other macro lenses. Capable of taking 1:1 macro shots with superb details. But it comes with a price. The AF hunts when taking subjects at very close distance. Go for manual focussing and you get your macros.

Some details about this lens.

Model 272EM
Lens Construction (Groups/Elements) 9/10
Angle of View 27°
Diaphragm Blade Number 9
Minimum Focus Distance 11.4in.(0.29m)
Macro Magnification Ratio 1:1
Filter Diameter ø55
Weight 410g (14.3oz)
Diameter x Length ø2.8 x 3.9in.
(ø71.5 x 97mm)
Accessory Lens hood, Case

There's a switch at the side of the lens for activating the focus limiter. For normal, not so close distance from the subject, switch to 'limit' and it will focus faster. If you are going very near to the subject, use the 'full' mode and the lens will extend further.

The lens itself is nicely weighted for single handed operation. Getting a sharp photo is a little tricky when I extend the lens to the fullest. It doesn't look that sharp when viewing through the viewfinder but the output is different. There's a little margin in the getting a sharp focus. So a lot of practice is needed for this. Otherwise, let this lens amazed you. I for one, can't get enough from this macro thing.


I see dead animal!








What's with that lighter?

No comments:

Post a Comment