Monday, July 6, 2009

My Alpha journey continues part 2



Yeap, that's quite a big gun on my A200. There are tons of bigger lens out there, the one above, albeit smaller still gives me sore fingers and palms if I'm holding it for some time. With my limited budget, I had to think hard for what I need to enhance my photography journey. So, last week I went for some lens hunting in KK, and bought myself three nice lenses. This hobby is expensive, no doubt about that!



I bought a used Tokina 28-75mm f2.8 and still waiting for it to arrive. The other two is a Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 Di LD (IF) Macro and a Sony SAL 16-105mm f3.5-5.6 DT. Coupled with my trusted Minolta 50mm f1.7 lens(lens and camera photos taken by it with another A200), I have replaced the need for both my Sony SAL 18-70mm and 75-300mm kit lens.





The Tamron is heavy. I thought of getting a Sigma version, but the price tag was 1K more than the Tammy. Sony, another 2k. The best thing about the Sigma is that it's equipped with HSM(Hyper Sonic Motor) and SSM in Sony for fast focussing, with a little bit better in build quality. The Tammy however hunts for focus during low-light condition but compromise with a lighter weight. The AF/MF selection comes in the form of sliding the focussing ring up or down. The petal hood does its function properly. Weakness aside, I'm satisfied with my purchase and importantly, the photos that it produces.




Bokeh!




Shots taken in front of Wisma Merdeka, Kota Kinabalu.








The same photo, cropped. Dunno how many percent.


My brother's car.




Cropped to reveal details.

The Sony SAL 16-105mm will be my walkaround lens from now on. With the price, I can easily get a SAL 18-200mm or the SAL 18-250m, but from what I read the 16-105 beats both lens with better image quality. The built quality is great, heavier than my current 18-70mm lens but it feels more sturdy when mounted on the camera.










16mm


105mm







Now I'm saving up for a F58(cobra) flash and a new body. My current Winer backpack maybe in need of replacement too. Haha. Too much poison but so little money. For normal outing I might buy a waist bag, enough to bring the 16-105mm mounted, and a flash. I had small backpains when I brought along all my gears in my backpack.


Proud owner with sore fingers.

add on : tried manual focussing with the Tammy just now and loved it! The focus ring is smooth, and I'm suprised on how easy it is. Here's some shots that I took.




Cropped...what a sad cat.




Same flower cropped. Love the bokeh it produces. A bit blur as I shot it handheld.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Tubik, are you a member yet in www.bestfoodjunction.com?

    ReplyDelete
  2. not yet. will check it out later. thanks for the visit. cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sayang.. from the bottom no.5... wish to see more... :OP LOL... nice gadget!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha. No need to see those. 1 pack only geng. Hahaha. Nice gadgets, but a poor owner. Hahah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. aisey. Sigma's or Sony's version lagi hebat geng. Fast motors but heavier and drained batteries faster. Hmm...I thought of getting the SAL 70300G, but few advices later, bought the Tammy and coupled with a teleconverter, would give longer focal range.

    ReplyDelete